Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Pre-Mission-Call Checklist (Everything I'm Doing While I'm WAITING for my Mission Call)




Hello! It's Kendall (future-missionary)!

Last month I met with my Bishop and started working on my "mission papers" (online mission application). I still haven't submitted my "papers" yet, but I'm part-way done and I'm getting closer. Sometimes there are things you need to work on that take longer than planned (for some people, it's worthiness issues that need to be resolved over time. Others might be waiting until they have saved a certain amount of money. Others might need to get health issues under control before they submit their papers. Some people just have to wait until a certain date to make sure they are old enough - there is a limit to how early you can submit your papers. Basically, there are a lot of things that need to line up just right before the paperwork can be submitted). I don't turn 19 until the end of the year, and I hope to be able to submit my mission papers in the next few months and be out in the field at the end of the year or early 2019.

Meanwhile, there is a lot of waiting. But there are a lot of things that need to be done (like the usual stuff- dentist appointments, etc). There are also a lot of other things that many people don't think about doing until after they receive their mission call (like picking out the scripture for your mission plaque or setting up a mission blog). I made a list of everything I could think of that needs to be done before I leave for the MTC that CAN be done before I have my mission call. Obviously, I can't start packing or buy mission-specific clothes yet, but there are still a lot of things that I can do without knowing where I will serve. To avoid getting depressed about things that I can't do yet because I don't have my papers in yet, this list is ONLY for things that can be done before my call arrives.

Many of these things I've listed could wait until after I (finally) get my mission call, but I feel like any detail I can take care of now will make things less-stressful for me later AND doing some of these things now makes me feel like I'm not just sitting around doing nothing.


I made a list of everything that I could think of that CAN be done between now and when I get my mission call. Your list may be different (depending on your preferences and what you have or haven't already done)...I didn't put "get a passport" or "get wisdom teeth removed" on my list because I already did those things earlier this year. My mom has a blog post about 15 things you can do while you're waiting to submit your mission papers and a lot of my ideas came from that post ("Starting your Mission Papers? 15 Things to do While You're Waiting for Your Call" which you can read HERE) - so you should check that out, because there are more ideas on there that I didn't put on my list (only because I already did them).



Here is my list (I hope this helps you come up with your own list!):

__Temple Prep Class (last class for me was this past Sunday. I had to miss it because I had a council
     meeting, but I got the ok from my home ward Bishop, so we're good!)
__Dental Appointment (I have a cavity that needs to be filled, appointment coming up)
__Have dentist fill out dental paperwork
__Renew my limited-use temple recommend (mine just expired)
__Meet the BMI/weight requirements for a missionary (more info HERE)
__Make small family photo album to show investigators/members
__Make small personal family/friend photo album for myself
__Print my pedigree chart
__Practice sewing repairs (fix a hem, sew on a button, patch a hole, etc)
__Set up a missionary blog
__Meet with Bishop (monthly)
__Make a list of my usernames/passwords/PIN#s
__Make exercise plans for mission
__Take a mission photo (for mission application)
__Take missionary photos (for farewell invites, blog, social media, etc)
__Take family group photos
__Pick out the scripture for my mission plaque
__Study Preach My Gospel
__Memorize the headings in Preach My Gospel (more about this HERE)
__Memorize Doctrine & Covenants Section 4, The Missionary Purpose, My Missionary Commission, The Standard of Truth, and the First Vision (free printables & more about this HERE)
__Make a list of my favorite things (treats, etc) to leave for my parents (in case they want to send care packages)
__Laminate pamphlets (A missionary serving in our Stake had a set of handouts that were laminated for his own use during lessons, etc. I want to have a set!)
__Make & laminate a Plan of Salvation visual aid*
__Schedule final doctor appointment to get medical paperwork done
__Read the standard works (Old Testament, New Testament, Book of Mormon, Doctrine & Covenants, and Pearl of Great Price)
__Put together a useful sewing kit (only things I would need)
__Put together a useful first aid kit
__Make a list of what mission clothes/supplies I already have
__Make a list of what mission clothes/supplies I know I still need (so far)



*You MAY want to wait to make a plan of salvation visual aid. Some missions are stricter than others about creating your own visual aids and/or what they look like. And you might not be in an English-speaking area, so if you make a set with English words on it, that won't be much help. 

































1 comment:

  1. In non-crisis situations where dire travel is important, your visa can be handled in roughly seven work days or less, yet there will be an extra $62 expense and you'll need to call ahead and make a meeting with an administration identification office to present the application face to face. To be qualified for this ultra-facilitated handling, you'll be approached to give evidence of global travel in no less than two weeks. There are just 27 visa offices in the United States and arrangements can't be ensured, so this ought to be utilized if all else fails. Emergency Passport

    ReplyDelete

Pre-Mission-Call Checklist (Everything I'm Doing While I'm WAITING for my Mission Call)

Hello! It's Kendall (future-missionary)! Last month I met with my Bishop and started working on my "mission papers" ...